“The Point” in Biloxi became home of the U.S. Coast Guard in 1925, housing personnel, patrol boats, high-speed picket boats, and a 165-foot cutter. In 1933 the Coast Guard moved to Pascagoula, and the former barracks and aircraft hangar became the Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum and Point Cadet Plaza. Both facilities were destroyed in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina.
In 2012 work began to restore “The Point” to its former glory. Biloxi’s newest waterfront park project included a significant amount of sitework, beginning with the removal of the existing concrete parking lot and converting it to a beautiful green space, the construction of a new 10,000 square foot open-air pavilion resembling the old aircraft hangar and a new playground and splash pad. The park’s first phase was completed in December 2013. Phase 2 included the sitework for the neighboring Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum, which was completed in July 2014.
Additional work was awarded for a single story steel framed structure and portable restroom facility as well as landscaping and irrigation.